Monday, December 15, 2014

Generation Quest 2.0: FULL REPORT!



This won't be in the final game! Things got a bit out of hand during the writing process.
Anyway, here's your first look at the new Maztar. As you can see if you look in the sprites section, the Evolver Razer hasn't been 2.0ed yet. Actually none of the Razers have, redesigning them has been the hardest part of this new version for me.

For a few moments, I was seriously considering redoing this whole game again. There's so many cool ideas I had. I covered my real time battle system experiment before. Speaking of, I'm going to release that on my test account, and see if anyone can do anything about that. That's one of the surprises I'm going to be unleashing on New Year's Eve. The other one's a surprise.

One of the things I thought about doing was a tactical turn-based battle system.

An early prototype.

 This system would replace every fight in Generation Quest. I wrote up a bunch of rules:

**************
GQ TACTICAL COMBAT:

12 squared board.
“Territory” is 6 squares on each side.
General Rules:
You take turns, alternating between you and the enemy. The person to go first is randomly selected.
Every turn, you can move a piece one space in any direction and decide how each piece is going to attack or defend.
You decide on how much health points and attack points the pieces have before you play, but the standard is 100 HP, 10 AP.

You have three pieces. Each piece has two different methods of attacking that relate to whatever weapon the piece carries and how it uses it.
The Redirector/Shield
The redirector carries a forcefield that can be set to redirect or defend against the enemy’s attack.
REDIRECT:
Reflects any enemy attack and sends it back at the enemy.
Pros: Turns the redirector, a defensive piece, into an attacking piece.
Cons: Using “redirect” makes the TR/S piece take 50% of damage from the enemy.
SHIELD:
Cancels out any enemy attack that hits it.
Pros: Deflects any enemy attack that round.
Cons: There is no way to attack with it.
Positioning: Direct. You have to be within the line of fire to give or take damage from the enemy.

The Soldier/Sniper
The TSS piece carries a gun that can fire mini lasers or one big laser.
SOLDIER:
An automatic weapon attack.
Pros: Fires a continuous line of fire.
Cons: If placed behind another one of your pieces, it will not reach the enemy. It is also not that strong of an attack.
SNIPER:
Snipes the enemy.
Pros: Can target any of the enemy’s pieces, from anywhere on the board. A powerful attack.
Cons: Limited. Can only be used every time an enemy piece is killed. Also, it will never deal a finishing blow, even if an enemy’s health is down and under normal circumstances an attack would kill it.
Positioning: Direct/Free. You have to be within the line of fire to give or take damage from the enemy, but if you are in “Sniper” mode you can be anywhere on the board to give damage.

The Slammer/Friend
This piece carries a spiked shield and a plug.
SLAMMER:
Runs straight into enemy territory and slams into an enemy piece, then quickly makes a retreat.
Pros: A direct attack that deals quite a bit of damage.
Cons: Vulnerable from behind during the attack. Can’t be behind another player piece when attack begins.
FRIEND:
The enemy you slammed into will now be controlled by you.
Pros: The enemy never will fire on their own piece. Depending on which piece you ran into, your attack could be very powerful.
Cons: Only lasts a turn. Can’t move any of your own pieces during the turn, so if they aren’t properly defended the enemy could wipe you out.

Endgame Condition:

When every enemy piece is gone, you win.
When that happens:

MINI-BOSS FIGHT
(This would be a real-time combat scenario much like my battle system experiment mentioned earlier).
You get to fight the mini-boss using your weapons. Some bosses are weaker against certain attacks. All bosses can dodge. Some like the “Splitting Razer” and the “Evolving Razer” have special moves that break up the fight.
At the end, you get awesome treasure to spend in the shop!
**************

I planned all of this while sort of already knowing that it was way over my head to code. It still needs some polishing, but if someone wants to make a board game out of it, go right ahead. I have half a mind to do so myself. If I ever do, I'll be sure to put it in my Downloads page.

Another cool idea I had was to release little bits of a completely new version of the game, and then combine them all into one game. This way, I'd be releasing stuff but it'd be new stuff. Then again, if I did that, why not go all the way and come up with a new, better game? I would, but I have too much on my plate. Until I clean that plate, I'm going to stick to my scheduled releases.

Until next time!
-- LockedOn.